Hello, and welcome to my first blog.
My name is Sinead Lee and I am the owner of For Mutt's Sake Dog Grooming Salon, Unit 8 Millennium Court, Foxhole, Youghal, Co Cork, Ireland. I have two dogs, Rosie a 7 year old Staffie and Larry the mini poodle aged 2.
I am going to start by giving you a brief history of my dog grooming life.
I started a dog grooming course in 2013 primarily to be able to groom my own wire haired terrier, (Buddy, who has since passed) and to help out the DAWG charity by grooming their rescued animals. Once I was a few weeks into the course, I found my passion. I just loved the dogs, loved washing them and making them look and feel better. Everything else faded away and I was in my zone. I did work experience with Deirdre at a local dog grooming salon Just 4 Paws, and worked there for over a year after I qualified.
In January 2016 I opened my own salon For Mutt's Sake Dog Grooming, and haven't looked back!
The purpose of this blog is to communicate what life is like owning and working in a dog grooming salon. I will give tips and tricks to grooming your pet at home between visits to the groomer. I'll share the good, the bad and the funny stories of day to day life of a dog groomer. I promise I will be honest, but NO REAL NAMES WILL BE MENTIONED.
I welcome your comments and suggestions - don't be shy.
Something I've been asked a lot about recently is the SELF SERVICE Dog Wash. What is it, how does it work etc. So here it is.
SELF SERVICE dog wash is, as the name suggests, wash the dog yourself, in my salon, using my equipment.
You bring your dog and I'll provide everything else you need and I'll show you how to use them, shampoo, towels, shower, dryer, tables, brushes etc. The benefits of this service are many and I'm not sure why more people aren't using it.
- The bath is height adjustable, so it's a lot more comfortable than kneeling on the bathroom floor leaning over a bath.
- There is restraints on the bath and on the table, so the dog can't run off on you, getting water all over the house.
- The bath is large enough to hold even Giant breeds and its very sturdy.
- Use top quality dog shampoo that is gentle on the skin.
- Conditioner is an optional extra that really benefits the coat.
- Use the salon microfiber towels that soak up excess water, making the drying faster and easier.
- You get to use proper dog grooming dryers that can separate the hair making it easier for loose hair to escape and therefore easier to brush them.
- Use a good quality grooming brush, suitable for your dogs coat type to finish off and make the dog look it's best.
- Best of all, you get to leave all the mess to me. You walk out with your clean dog.
- PLEASE NOTE: you do NOT get to use any other grooming equipment such as clippers or scissors. This is a wash, dry and brush service only.